Monday, March 31, 2008

Sir Maldoror

If you follow my blog, or talked to me at or after the 2007 North American Handmade Bicycle Show you know I'm a big fan of Sir Maldoror/Carlos Martell. http://jonnycycles.blogspot.com/2007/03/saturday-at-nahbs.html






At the 2007 show Trevor (owns these two bikes I built for him - Big Pink and Super Skinny) met Carlos and commissioned a new bike from him. I told Trevor to keep me in the loop and send me some photos of the completed bike. I enjoyed working with Trevor as we came up with some really great ideas for his frames and I assumed that Carlos and Trevor would come up with some equally interesting results .


Carlos has a very unique and refreshing style that I have yet to see anywhere else (in bicycles at least). There is obviously some Brian Baylis influence in his work and I like how he has taken that and added some style elements not often found in the bicycle world. I really dig the pin striping, the hand lettering in the panels, and the color selection (way over the top, but in a good way).

Obviously this style won't appeal to everyone, but at the least I think you'll find the photos enjoyable:










Carlos doesn't have much of a web presence and prefers to work locally, but you can see some more work from him here:
http://www.maldororbicycles.com/gallery/main.php

Try sm13000maldoror@gmail.com if you want to get in touch with him.

Hopefully we'll see more of his work soon.

No comments: